I have now been in the UAE for a month. (Quick recap of that month...first 2 weeks = strep, then helped open classroom, kids arrived, Ramadan, pool, class...that pretty much sums it up).I told myself and everyone else that I was simply not going to write a blog. I know me and I know that I am just never going to stick with this. But, here I am and it is because of stories like the one that I am about to tell. That, and because I am already sick of telling the same anecdotes in various emails.
And so the story goes...
It was the last Saturday of Ramadan. For me, Ramadan meant that everything was closed during the day. And by everything, I am especially concerned with establishments that provide food and sustinance. We spent the day at the pool (its awesome, check out the pictures) and made the critical decision of staying there until the hotel restaurant opened up for dinner. After a full day of sun and full stomachs, we were ready to head home. All we needed was the perfect cab. And boy did we find one.
A shiny, silver cab pulled up. Three of us got in the back, and I, the lucky one that I am, got the passenger seat. Enter Jerome, our anxious, yet very friendly and English speaking cab driver from the Philippines. We told him to take us to Al Falah Plaza (where we live). He then asked us how to get there. Perhaps this was a little foreshadowing for what was to come. Before exiting the parking lot, he ran over two curbs. This was followed by the confession that tonight was his first night and we were his first customers. We turn onto the street and take a right, a direction we never before encountered. He again confessed; this time he professed that he did not know where he was going. Somehow the ramp led us straight back to the parking lot of our gym. And still, he did not know where to go. At this point, he ran over another curb and went down a one-way street, all the while saying things like, "oh this is so embarassing," followed by a girly giggle. Sarah is sitting in the back saying things like, "Don't worry. This is just a learning experience." Meanwhile, I am alone up front in the death seat. Finally, we find ourselves on a real road, driving at a normal, perhaps slightly slow for Abu Dhabi standards, speed limit. Sarah thinks this is a superb time to ask Jerome for his number in case we ever need a cab. Splendid, Sarah. Splendid. Now remember, this is Jerome's first night. He just got his phone. What does this mean? Oh, I'll tell you. This means that Jerome needs to take out his phone and look up his number, all while continuing to operate a moving vehicle. Not soon enough, we arrive at a vicinity near our house. In hindsight, we just should have gotten out then. He turns in to the parking lot and within 30 seconds, ran over two more islands/curbs. Sarah then asked him if he was going to be in trouble. His brand new car already had a number of dents and he had his inspection the next day. We felt so badly for him that I think we paid him double than what we owed him.
Maybe we should give him a call just to check on him.
Pictures
I have some pictures on facebook. Not all of these are family-friendly (sorry Mom!), so also check out pictures at:
2 comments:
Hi. Sorry to contact you through your blog but I couldn't find a phone number or website for NECC Abu Dhabi. I contacted NECC Boston through their website but haven't got a reply yet. I'm Emirati but have had my wife and 12 year-old son living in Houston, TX for the past two years where he attends the Monarch school (he's high-functioning autistic). It would be wonderful to have my family back in Abu Dhabi (unlike most of my countrymen, we take punctuality & attendance seriously). I'd really appreciate it if you could get me in touch with NECC Abu Dhabi. My address is ialawi@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Please ignore my previous post. I've been contacted by Bill Holcomb. Thanks.
Post a Comment